Discover the power of storytelling with Unreal Engine 5’s real-time technology, exploring storyboarding, character creation, world building, animating using sequencers, and much more
- Harness Unreal Engine’s real-time technology to create limitless, high-fidelity content
- Generate and animate near-photorealistic actors using the innovative MetaHuman technology
- Build expansive worlds with Nanite and Lumen Global Illumination and Reflections technology
Virtual Filmmaking with Unreal Engine 5 is the first Unreal Engine book to guide you through the complete process of virtual film production. Encompassing the full spectrum of filmmaking, this book demonstrates the use of an industry-standard tool used by studios such as Disney, ILM, DNEG, and Framestore.
Walking through the process systematically, you’ll first collect references and create a simple storyboard to plan your shots. Then you’ll begin to create virtual environments, importing 3D models and adding materials and textures to create photorealistic, dynamic worlds. After that, you’ll learn how to create actors using highly customizable MetaHumans, understanding how to import, re-target, and animate them. Finally, you’ll bring it all together with cinematic lighting and camera animation before exporting your film.
By the end of this book, you’ll have honed your skills, discovered new tools for your toolkit, and gained the confidence to work on your virtual film projects in Unreal Engine 5, leveraging Quixel Megascans, Lumen, Nanite, and MetaHuman technology.
What You Will Learn:
- Grasp the principles of photography and the art of storytelling
- Collect references and create storyboards
- Discover Unreal Engine’s hidden features and useful keyboard shortcuts
- Explore the capabilities of Quixel Megascans, Lumen, Nanite, and MetaHumans
- Adopt cinematic techniques to achieve professional-looking shots
- Creatively apply Lumen Global Illumination and Reflections techniques
- Use multiple virtual cameras and apply post-production techniques
- Implement best practices for optimization, post processing, and rendering