English | 2016 | ISBN: 978-0996128100 | 260 Pages | EPUB, MOBI, AZW3 | 10 MB
The most effective engineers — the ones who have risen to become distinguished engineers and leaders at their companies — can produce 10 times the impact of other engineers, but they’re not working 10 times the hours.
They’ve internalized a mindset that took me years of trial and error to figure out. I’m going to share that mindset with you — along with hundreds of actionable techniques and proven habits — so you can shortcut those years.
Introducing The Effective Engineer — the only book designed specifically for today’s software engineers, based on extensive interviews with engineering leaders at top tech companies, and packed with hundreds of techniques to accelerate your career.
Here’s a sneak peek at some of the lessons you’ll learn. You’ll learn how to:
- Prioritize the right projects and tasks to increase your impact.
- Earn more leeway from your peers and managers on your projects.
- Spend less time maintaining and fixing software and more time building and shipping new features.
- Produce more accurate software estimates.
- Validate your ideas cheaply to reduce wasted work.
- Navigate organizational and people-related bottlenecks.
- Find the appropriate level of code reviews, testing, abstraction, and technical debt to balance speed and quality.
- Shorten your debugging workflow to increase your iteration speed.
- Use metrics to quantify your impact and consistently make progress.