Get to grips with asynchronous programming in Android using simple, modern, and testable code through Kotlin coroutines and flow
- Find out how to improve app performance with Kotlin coroutines
- Discover the new recommended ways to use Kotlin coroutines and flows
- Learn the basics of asynchronous programming, along with an overview of coroutines and flow
Coroutines and flows are the new recommended way for developers to carry out asynchronous programming in Android using simple, modern, and testable code. This book will teach you how coroutines and flows work and how to use them in building Android applications, along with helping you to develop modern Android applications with asynchronous programming using real data.
The book begins by showing you how to create and handle Kotlin coroutines on Android. You’ll explore asynchronous programming in Kotlin, and understand how to test Kotlin coroutines. Next, you’ll learn about Kotlin flows on Android, and have a closer look at using Kotlin flows by getting to grips with handling flow cancellations and exceptions and testing the flows.
By the end of this book, you’ll have the skills you need to build high-quality and maintainable Android applications using coroutines and flows.
What you will learn
- Understand how coroutines and flows differ from existing ways
- Apply asynchronous programming in Android with coroutines and flows
- Find out how to build your own coroutines and flows in Android
- Handle, manipulate, and combine data in coroutines and flows
- Handle cancellations and exceptions from coroutines and flows
- Discover how to add tests for your coroutines and flows
- Integrate coroutines and flows into your Android projects