Author: Mikaël Valot, Nicolas Jorand
Pub Date: 2018
Size: 10 Mb
Discover unique features and powerful capabilities of Scala Programming as you build projects in a wide range of domains
Scala is a type-safe JVM language that incorporates object-oriented and functional programming (OOP and FP) aspects. This book gets you started with essentials of software development by guiding you through various aspects of Scala programming, helping you bridge the gap between learning and implementing. You will learn about the unique features of Scala through diverse applications and experience simple yet powerful approaches for software development.
Scala Programming Projects will help you build a number of applications, beginning with simple projects, such as a financial independence calculator, and advancing to other projects, such as a shopping application and a Bitcoin transaction analyzer. You will be able to use various Scala features, such as its OOP and FP capabilities, and learn how to write concise, reactive, and concurrent applications in a type-safe manner. You will also learn how to use top-notch libraries such as Akka and Play and integrate Scala apps with Kafka, Spark, and Zeppelin, along with deploying applications on a cloud platform.
By the end of the book, you will not only know the ins and outs of Scala, but you will also be able to apply it to solve a variety of real-world problems
What you will learn
- Build, test, and package code using Scala Build Tool
- Decompose code into functions, classes, and packages for maintainability
- Implement the functional programming capabilities of Scala
- Develop a simple CRUD REST API using the Play framework
- Access a relational database using Slick
- Develop a dynamic web UI using Scala.js
- Source streaming data using Spark Streaming and write a Kafka producer
- Use Spark and Zeppelin to analyze data