PostgreSQL, often known as simply “Postgres”, is an object-relational database management system (ORDBMS) with an emphasis on extensibility and standards-compliance.
From hardware selection to software stacks and horizontal scalability, this book will help you build a versatile PostgreSQL cluster that will survive crashes, resist data corruption, and grow smoothly with customer demand. We start with selecting the necessary hardware to handle multiple failure scenarios with redundancy. Then, we discuss how to automate and visualize these checks with Nagios, check_mk, and Graphite. We’ll finally round off by tackling the complex problem of data scalability.
What You Will Learn
- Protect your data with PostgreSQL replication and management tools such as Slony, Bucardo, and Londiste
- Choose the correct hardware for redundancy and scale
- Prepare for catastrophes and prevent them before they happen
- Reduce database resource contention with connection pooling
- Automate monitoring and alerts to visualize cluster activity using Nagios and collectd
- Construct a robust software stack that can detect and fix outages
- Design a scalable schema architecture to handle billions of queries