Author: Daniel Irvine
Pub Date: 2019
Size: 15 Mb
Implement TDD for your React applications using Jest, React Router, Redux, and GraphQL/Relay. Learn BDD and end-to-end acceptance testing with CucumberJS and Puppeteer.
Many programmers are aware of TDD but struggle to apply it beyond basic examples. This book teaches how to build complex, real-world applications using Test-Driven Development (TDD). It takes a first principles approach to the TDD process using plain Jest and includes test-driving the integration of libraries including React Router, Redux, and Relay (GraphQL).
Readers will practice systematic refactoring while building out their own test framework, gaining a deep understanding of TDD tools and techniques. They will learn how to test-drive features such as client- and server-side form validation, data filtering and searching, navigation and user workflow, undo/redo, animation, LocalStorage access, WebSocket communication, and querying GraphQL endpoints.
The book covers refactoring codebases to use the React Router and Redux libraries. via TDD. Redux is explored in depth, with reducers, middleware, sagas, and connected React components. The book also covers acceptance testing using Cucumber and Puppeteer.
The book is fully up to date with React 16.9 and has in-depth coverage of hooks and the ‘act’ test helper.
What you will learn
- Build test-driven applications using React 16.9+ and Jest
- Build complete web applications using a variety of HTML input elements
- Understand the different types of test double and when to apply them
- Test-drive the Integration of libraries such as React Router, Redux, and Relay (GraphQL)
- Learn when to be pragmatic and how to apply TDD shortcuts
- Test-drive interaction with browser APIs including fetch and WebSockets
- Use Cucumber.js and Puppeteer to build BDD-style acceptance tests for your applications
- Build and test async Redux code using redux-saga and expect-redux