Author: Sharan Volin
Pub Date: 2018
Size: 1310 Mb
Create your own games using Unreal Engine 4 while learning the fundamentals of C++ programming
Learning to program in C++ requires some serious motivation. Unreal Engine 4 (UE4) is a powerful C++ engine with a range of features used to create exciting games by AAA studios, which makes it an engaging way to get started with exploring C++17.
This book starts by helping you install a code editor so you can begin to write C++17 code. You will then focus on C++ fundamentals such as variables, memory, conditional statements, and looping. Next, you will cover important programming constructs including functions, objects, classes, and inheritance. As you progress, you’ll delve into more advanced C++17 concepts, along with understanding the functionality of the UE4 engine. In the next few chapters, you will use the UE4 editor to create your own virtual world, and even program some seriously fun gameplay. After this, you’ll learn to build game features, along with using AI aspects such as pathfinding and behavior trees to build smart game entities. The concluding chapters will show you how to improve user interface (UI) feedback with Unreal Motion Graphics (UMG) and audio. In this new and updated edition, you’ll also get to grips with the latest VR and AR features available.
By the end of this book, you will have the skills you need to program effectively in C++17.
What you will learn
- Learn the basics of C++ and understand basic UE4 editing
- Work with the UE4 editor and study the basics of using C++ and Blueprints within the engine
- Get up to speed with using basic C++ containers and data structures to store your game data
- Create players, non-player characters (NPCs), and monsters
- Give game information to users using the UE4 UMG UI system
- Gain a basic understanding of how to use procedural programming to give your game more replay value
- Discover how UE4 can help you build projects using the latest technologies, such as VR and AR