This new edition will help you learn PostgreSQL from scratch with the latest version, providing a complete focused view on aspects like configuration, high performance, partitioning, backup, server-side programming and replication.
- Learn the fundamentals of PostgreSQL 16, including SQL statements, replication, and security
- Enhance your learning journey with the provided Docker images for practical hands-on exercises and tests at the end of each chapter
- Get new and improved examples, use-cases, and scenarios specifically for concepts like partitioning, replication, back-up and restore, cluster configuration, monitoring and others
The latest edition of this PostgreSQL book will help you to start using PostgreSQL from absolute scratch, helping you to quickly understand the internal workings of the database. With a structured approach and practical examples, go on a journey that covers the basics, from SQL statements and how to run server-side programs, to configuring, managing, securing, and optimizing database performance.
This new edition will not only help you get to grips with all the recent changes within the PostgreSQL ecosystem but will also dig deeper into concepts like partitioning and replication with a fresh set of examples. The book is also equipped with Docker images for each chapter which makes the learning experience faster and easier. Starting with the absolute basics of databases, the book sails through to advanced concepts like window functions, logging, auditing, extending the database, configuration, partitioning, and replication. It will also help you seamlessly migrate your existing database system to PostgreSQL and contains a dedicated chapter on disaster recovery. Each chapter ends with practice questions to test your learning at regular intervals.
By the end of this book, you will be able to install, configure, manage, and develop applications against a PostgreSQL database.
What you will learn
- Gain a deeper understanding of PostgreSQL internals like transactions, MVCC, security and replication
- Enhance data management with PostgreSQL’s latest partitioning features
- Choose the right replication strategy for your database
- See concrete examples of how to migrate data from another database, perform backups and restores, monitor your PostgreSQL installation and more
- Ensure security and compliance with schemas and user privileges
- Create customized database functions and extensions
- Get to grips with server-side programming, window functions, and triggers