Get started with writing simple programs in C while learning core programming concepts
- Learn essential C concepts such as variables, data structures, functions, loops, and pointers
- Grasp the core programming aspects that form the base of many modern programming languages
- Work with updated code samples and cover array declaration and initialization in detail in this new edition
The book takes you through basic programming concepts and shows you how to implement them in the C programming language. Throughout the book, you’ll create and run programs that demonstrate essential C concepts, such as program structure with functions, control structures such as loops and conditional statements, and complex data structures. As you make progress, you’ll get to grips with in-code documentation, testing, and validation methods. This new edition expands upon the use of enumerations, arrays, and additional C features, and provides two working programs based on the code used in the book. What’s more, this book uses the method of intentional failure, where you’ll develop a working program and then purposely break it to see what happens, thereby learning how to recognize possible mistakes when they happen.
By the end of this C programming book, you’ll have developed basic programming skills in C that can be easily applied to other programming languages and have gained a solid foundation for you to build on as a programmer.
What you will learn
- Implement fundamental programming concepts through C programs
- Understand the importance of creating complex data types and the functions to manipulate them
- Develop good coding practices and learn to write clean code
- Validate your programs before developing them further
- Use the C Standard Library functions and understand why it is advantageous
- Build and run a multi-file program with Make
- Get an overview of how C has changed since its introduction and where it is going