Author: Filip Babić
Pub Date: 2019
Size: 26 Mb
Learn Coroutines in Kotlin and Android!
Executing background tasks has always been a big challenge in every environment and, in particular, on mobile devices where resources are limited. Kotlin has simplified the way you can write code improving your productivity with a new programming paradigm, enhancing object-oriented and functional programming with with simple, powerful and new constructs. Coroutines are one of these!
Who This Book Is For
This book is for intermediate Kotlin or Android developers who already know the basics of UI development but want to learn coroutine API in order to simplify and optimize their code.
Topics Covered in This Book
- Asynchronous programming: Learn what asynchronous programming means and how to achieve it using not blocking calls.
- Configuration: Learn how to configure IntelliJ and Android Studio in order to use Coroutine APIs.
- Coroutine principles**: Learn what coroutines and launching builders are and how to manage Job dependencies.
- Suspending functions: This is the main concept around coroutines and you’ll learn how to declare a suspending function and how to deal with results.
- Sequences and Iterators: Learn how to manage theoretically infinite collections of data in an efficient way using Sequences, Iterators and the yield function.
- Thread communication techniques**: Learn how different tasks can communicate using Channels, Actors, and specific coroutine operators.
- And much more, including benchmarks, Broadcast Channels, State machines!
One thing you can count on: After reading this book, you’ll be prepared to take advantage of all the improvements coroutines have to offer!