English | 2021 | ISBN: 978-1718501188 | 248 Pages | PDF, EPUB, MOBI | 11 MB
Kill It with Fire examines aging computer systems, the evolution of technology over time, and how organizations can modernize, maintain, and future-proof their current systems.
“Kill it with fire,” the typical first reaction to a legacy system falling into obsolescence, is a knee-jerk approach that often burns through tons of money and time only to result in a less efficient solution. This book offers a far more forgiving modernization framework, laying out smart value-add strategies and proven incremental techniques that work equally well for ancient systems and brand-new ones.
Internationally known for restoring some of the world’s oldest, messiest computer networks to operational excellence, software engineering expert Marianne Bellotti distills key lessons and insights from her experience into practical, research-backed guidance on topics from “chaos” testing solutions to building momentum-driven teams and effective communication structures. Using clear explanations and simple exercises, she’ll help you determine when to modernize, how to organize, what migrations will add the most value, and where to focus your maintenance efforts for maximum impact. With witty, engaging prose, Bellotti explains why new doesn’t always mean better, weaving in illuminating case studies and jaw-dropping anecdotes from her work in the field.
- Tips and best practices for assessing architecture and testing assumptions
- How to avoid trends and pick the right modernization solutions for your specific needs
- How to determine whether your migrations will add value before you invest in them
- Critical considerations every organization should weigh before moving data to the cloud
- Team-based strategies and motivational tricks for keeping modernization plans on track
- Key outcomes and checklists for determining when a project is finished
Packed with resources, exercises, and flexible frameworks for organizations of all ages and sizes, Kill It with Fire will give you a vested interest in your technology’s future.Homepage