Get up to speed with core PostgreSQL tasks such as database administration, application development, database performance monitoring, and database testing
- Build real-world enterprise database management systems using Postgres 12 features
- Explore the development, administrative and security aspects of PostgreSQL 12
- Implement best practices from industry experts to build powerful database applications
PostgreSQL is an open-source object-relational database management system (DBMS) that provides enterprise-level services, including high performance and scalability. This book is a collection of unique projects providing you with a wealth of information relating to administering, monitoring, and testing PostgreSQL. The focus of each project is on both the development and the administrative aspects of PostgreSQL.
Starting by exploring development aspects such as database design and its implementation, you’ll then cover PostgreSQL administration by understanding PostgreSQL architecture, PostgreSQL performance, and high-availability clusters. Various PostgreSQL projects are explained through current technologies such as DevOps and cloud platforms using programming languages like Python and Node.js. Later, you’ll get to grips with the well-known database API tool, PostgREST, before learning how to use popular PostgreSQL database testing frameworks. The book is also packed with essential tips and tricks and common patterns for working seamlessly in a production environment. All the chapters will be explained with the help of a real-world case study on a small banking application for managing ATM locations in a city.
By the end of this DBMS book, you’ll be proficient in building reliable database solutions as per your organization’s needs.
What you will learn
- Set up high availability PostgreSQL database clusters in the same containment, a cross-containment, and on the cloud
- Monitor the performance of a PostgreSQL database
- Create automated unit tests and implement test-driven development for a PostgreSQL database
- Develop PostgreSQL apps on cloud platforms using DevOps with Python and Node.js
- Write robust APIs for PostgreSQL databases using Python programming, Node.js, and PostgREST
- Create a geospatial database using PostGIS and PostgreSQL
- Implement automatic configuration by Ansible and Terraform for Postgres