Build a complete game from start to finish using Flutter and Flame while getting acquainted with each building block in game design along the way
- Begin your Flutter game development journey with step-by-step instructions and best practices
- Understand the Flame game engine and its essential elements for making games, sprite animation, tilemaps, and audio
- Build enjoyable games with Flutter that can be played across different platforms
With its powerful tools and quick implementation capabilities, Flutter provides a new way to build scalable cross-platform apps. In this book, you’ll learn how to build on your knowledge and use Flutter as the foundation for creating games.
This game development book takes a hands-on approach to building a complete game from scratch. You’ll see how to get started with the Flame library and build a simple animated example to test Flame. You’ll then discover how to organize and load images and audio in your Flutter game. As you advance, you’ll gain insights into the game loop and set it up for fast and efficient processing. The book also guides you in using Tiled to create maps, add sprites to the maps that the player can interact with, and see how to use tilemap collision to create paths for a player to walk on. Finally, you’ll learn how to make enemies more intelligent with artificial intelligence (AI).
By the end of the book, you’ll have gained the confidence to build fun multiplatform games with Flutter.
What you will learn
- Discover the Flame engine and how to use it in game programming in Flutter
- Organize the graphics and sounds used in your game
- Animate a sprite in your games and detect when the player collides with tiles
- Run the game as a web page and desktop app
- Expand our player control with key navigation
- Build your first game and make your enemies more intelligent with AI for games