Big geospatial datasets created by large infrastructure projects require massive computing resources to process. Feature extraction is a process used to reduce the initial set of raw data for manageable image processing, and machine learning (ML) is the science that supports it. This book focuses on feature extraction methods for optical geospatial data using ML. It is a practical guide for professionals and graduate students who are starting a career in information extraction. It explains spatial feature extraction in an easy-to-understand way and includes real case studies on how to collect height values for spatial features, how to develop 3D models in a map context, and others.
- Provides the basics of feature extraction methods and applications along with the fundamentals of machine learning
- Discusses in detail the application of machine learning techniques in geospatial building feature extraction
- Explains the methods for estimating object height from optical satellite remote sensing images using Python
- Includes case studies that demonstrate the use of machine learning models for building footprint extraction and photogrammetric methods for height assessment
- Highlights the potential of machine learning and geospatial technology for future project developments
This book will be of interest to professionals, researchers, and graduate students in geoscience and earth observation, machine learning and data science, civil engineers, and urban planners.Homepage