Extend your game development skills by harnessing the power of Android SDK
Gaming has historically been a strong driver of technology, whether we’re talking about hardware or software performance, the variety of input methods, or graphics support and the Android game platform is no different. Android is a mature, yet still growing, platform that many game developers have embraced as it provides tools, APIs, and services to help bootstrap Android projects and ensure their success, many of which are specially designed to help game developers.
Since Android uses one of the most popular programming languages, Java, as the primary language to build apps of all types, you will start this course by first obtaining a solid grasp of the Java language and its foundation APIs. This will improve your chances of succeeding as an Android app developer. We will show you how to get your Android development environment set up and you will soon have your first working game.
The course covers all the aspects of game development through various engrossing and insightful game projects. You will learn all about frame-by-frame animations and resource animations using a space shooter game, create beautiful and responsive menus and dialogs, and explore the different options to play sound effects and music in Android. You will also learn the basics of creating a particle system and will see how to use the Leonids library.
By the end of the course, you will be able to configure and use Google Play Services on the developer console and port your game to the big screen.
This Learning Path combines some of the best that Packt has to offer in one complete, curated package. It includes content from the following Packt products:
- Learning Java by Building Android Games by John Horton
- Android Game Programming by Example by John Horton
- Mastering Android Game Development by Raul Portales
What You Will Learn
- Set up an efficient, professional game development environment in Android Studio
- Explore object-oriented programming (OOP) and design scalable, reliable, and well-written Java games or apps on almost any Android device
- Build simple to advanced game engines for different types of game, with cool features such as sprite sheet character animation and scrolling parallax backgrounds
- Implement basic and advanced collision detection mechanics
- Process multitouch screen input effectively and efficiently
- Implement a flexible and advanced game engine that uses OpenGL ES 2 to ensure fast, smooth frame rates
- Use animations and particle systems to provide a rich experience
- Create beautiful, responsive, and reusable UIs by taking advantage of the Android SDK
- Integrate Google Play Services to provide achievements and leaderboards to the players