Get to grips with the essential concepts and features of ns-3 using practical examples and assessments
- Explore network simulation for development, testing, and evaluation activities
- Understand the key building blocks of simulation and evaluate network topologies
- Learn how to set up and evaluate wired, Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), and 4G LTE networks
Network simulation is a powerful technique that uses software programs to replicate the behaviors of real networks. Network simulators are programs that can predict the performance of computer networks or wireless communication networks. This book is your hands-on guide to ns-3, a script-based simulator that allows for learning, experimenting, and evaluating wired, wireless (802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax), and 4G long-term evolution (LTE) networks quickly and at low cost.
You’ll begin by learning how to install and use ns-3, along with exploring its key features such as building blocks for creating a variety of wired or wireless network topologies, installing suitable protocols and applications, identifying and resolving networking issues, and systematically evaluating network performance. As you make progress, you’ll gain a clear understanding of simulation errors, exceptions, and abrupt events. You’ll also discover how to set up and evaluate Ethernet, Wi-Fi (802.11n/ac/ax) LANs, ad-hoc, and LTE networks. The concluding chapters discuss LTE advanced topics such as capacity planning, site surveys, radio resources, mobility management, and interference handling. By the end of this simulation book, you’ll be able to use ns-3 to implement, analyze, debug, and evaluate the performance of wired or wireless networks, as well as setting up custom test scenarios.
What you will learn
- Get to grips with the installation of ns-3 for learning and research
- Explore ns-3 logging, debugging, tracing, and evaluation on networks
- Discover various wired, wireless, and ad hoc networks
- Understand the set-up using Wi-Fi protocols, placement, and mobility models
- Find out how to set up advanced Wi-Fi technologies such as 802.11n/ac/ax features
- Explore LTE basics, advanced network features, and research activities