Author: Regina O. Obe, Leo S. Hsu
Pub Date: 2017
Size: 10 Mb
Thinking of migrating to PostgreSQL? This clear, fast-paced introduction helps you understand and use this open source database system. Not only will you learn about the enterprise class features in versions 9.3 to 9.6, with a focus on 9.5, you’ll also discover that PostgeSQL is more than a database system—it’s an impressive application platform as well.
With examples throughout, this book shows you how to achieve tasks that are difficult or impossible in other databases. This third edition covers new features, such as ANSI-SQL constructs found only in proprietary databases until now: PostgreSQL FDW enhancements; new full text functions and operator syntax introduced in version 9.6; row level security; and the UPSERT feature.
If you’re a current PostgreSQL user, you’ll pick up gems you may have missed before.
- Learn basic administration tasks such as role management, database creation, backup, and restore
- Apply the psql command-line utility and the pgAdmin graphical administration tool
- Explore PostgreSQL tables, constraints, and indexes
- Learn powerful SQL constructs not generally found in other databases
- Use several different languages to write database functions
- Tune your queries to run as fast as your hardware will allow
- Query external and variegated data sources with foreign data wrappers
- Learn how use built-in replication filters to replicate data