Author: Mickey Macdonald
Pub Date: 2018
Size: 10 Mb
High-end game development with advanced C++ 17 programming techniques
Although many languages are now being used to develop games, C++ remains the standard for professional development. The majority of professional libraries and toolchains are still built using C++. The primary goal of this book is to teach you how to harness the power of the language and provide you with the ability to build high-quality games.
To begin, you will be presented with, an overview of popular development methodologies, and a short guide to updated features of the C++ 17 standard. You will learn how to leverage existing libraries such as OpenGL and the STL (standard library) to build complex systems. Throughout the journey, you will also build a set of C++ 17 compatible libraries that can be reused in your own development projects. In the last half of the book, you will work with demos designed to introduce you to advanced rendering techniques, interactive physics, advanced AI techniques, and even multiplayer game concerns with modern networks.
What You Will Learn
- Work and communicate effectively in the modern games industry
- Develop simple and advanced gameplay systems
- How to leverage the standard core C++ libraries
- Use modern real-time rendering techniques to achieve immersive 3D visuals
- Achieve a narrative-driven game experience using a variety of data management techniques
- Implement scripting using LUA
- Learn AI algorithms and concepts for handling motion, behavior, and decision making
- Implementation of the OpenGL, Bullet Physics, GLM, SteamVR and other common libraries