Author: Clif Flynt, Sarath Lakshman, Shantanu Tushar
Pub Date: 2017
Format: EPUB/AZW3/PDF (conv)
Size: 10 Mb
Do amazing things with the shell
The shell is the most powerful tool your computer provides. Despite having it at their fingertips, many users are unaware of how much the shell can accomplish.
Using the shell, you can generate databases and web pages from sets of files, automate monotonous admin tasks such as system backups, monitor your system’s health and activity, identify network bottlenecks and system resource hogs, and more.
This book will show you how to do all this and much more.
This book, now in its third edition, describes the exciting new features in the newest Linux distributions to help you accomplish more than you imagine. It shows how to use simple commands to automate complex tasks, automate web interactions, download videos, set up containers and cloud servers, and even get free SSL certificates.
Starting with the basics of the shell, you will learn simple commands and how to apply them to real-world issues. From there, you’ll learn text processing, web interactions, network and system monitoring, and system tuning.
Software engineers will learn how to examine system applications, how to use modern software management tools such as git and fossil for their own work, and how to submit patches to open-source projects.
Finally, you’ll learn how to set up Linux Containers and Virtual machines and even run your own Cloud server with a free SSL Certificate from letsencrypt.org.
What You Will Learn
- Interact with websites via scripts
- Write shell scripts to mine and process data from the Web
- Automate system backups and other repetitive tasks with crontab
- Create, compress, and encrypt archives of your critical data.
- Configure and monitor Ethernet and wireless networks
- Monitor and log network and system activity
- Tune your system for optimal performance
- Improve your system’s security
- Identify resource hogs and network bottlenecks
- Extract audio from video files
- Create web photo albums
- Use git or fossil to manage revision control and interact with FOSS projects
- Create and maintain Linux containers and Virtual Machines
- Run a private Cloud server