Author: Sander Rossel
Pub Date: 2017
Format: EPUB/PDF (conv)
Size: 13 Mb
Reliable and faster software releases with automating builds, tests, and deployment
Getting started with the processes and the tools to continuously deliver high-quality software
The challenge faced by many teams while implementing Continuous Deployment is that it requires the use of many tools and processes that all work together. Learning and implementing all these tools (correctly) takes a lot of time and effort, leading people to wonder whether it’s really worth it. This book sets up a project to show you the different steps, processes, and tools in Continuous Deployment and the actual problems they solve.
We start by introducing Continuous Integration (CI), deployment, and delivery as well as providing an overview of the tools used in CI. You’ll then create a web app and see how Git can be used in a CI environment. Moving on, you’ll explore unit testing using Jasmine and browser testing using Karma and Selenium for your app. You’ll also find out how to automate tasks using Gulp and Jenkins. Next, you’ll get acquainted with database integration for different platforms, such as MongoDB and PostgreSQL. Finally, you’ll set up different Jenkins jobs to integrate with Node.js and C# projects, and Jenkins pipelines to make branching easier.
By the end of the book, you’ll have implemented Continuous Delivery and deployment from scratch.
What You Will Learn
- Get to know all the aspects of Continuous Integration, Deployment, and Delivery
- Find out how Git can be used in a CI environment
- Set up browser tests using Karma and Selenium and unit tests using Jasmine
- Use Node.js, npm, and Gulp to automate tasks such as linting, testing, and minification
- Explore different Jenkins jobs to integrate with Node.js and C# projects
- Perform Continuous Delivery and Deployment using Jenkins
- Test and deliver a web API